Sunday, January 21, 2007

David Smith at Tate Modern

David Smith, ube Nineteen
Spent a pleasant afternoon at Tate Modern, catching the David Smith sculpture exhibition before it closed. A wonderful early face in the first room: circular saw blade with part of a pair of shears providing eye and nose, and a sieve as the other eye. Otherwise work that I admire rather than love: I feel it to be very much of its time. But the shimmering surface of the Cube pieces at the end of the show were lovely, and the play between two and three dimensions was always interesting. And when I came out of the show, I'm sure it was Smith's painted metal sculptures which made me aware of the pink cranes on the opposite bank of the river.
River from Tate Modern
Another view of the river

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just been through your photos in an unexpectedly idle moment - lovely, thank you

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home