Sunday, January 21, 2007

Technological doubt

Having lost my internet connection a few days ago, I've endured not only the hassle of visits to computer shops whose enthusiastic assistants who, when I sought advice, couldn't even read the boxes as well as me, but have also had the quite irrational worry that it would never work again. When technology fails I always feel this doubt, as if the fridge or washing machine or computer was part of some Eden from which I have been forever exiled, and I am always surprised when repair or replacement proves quick and simple. When I was writing large-scale computer programmes, especially those machine-code programmes with limited diagnostics where any change inevitably required a fortnight's debugging, I remember the feeling when I made a significant alteration that I had broken the programme and would never be able to restore it. And despite my years of experience that the world is not so, I still have feel a lack of security in technology, that it is a temporary gift that can be taken away at any time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home