Saturday, January 20, 2007

An unfortunate child

Happily, writing poetry is not one of the vices to which I am particularly inclined: here is a cautionary tale about one of those who was not so fortunate.

Isaac Watts (1674-1748) is probably best known today as the victim of Lewis Carroll's parodies like "How doth the little crocodile", but deserves to be remembered also as the author of "When I survey the wondrous cross" and many other fine hymns. I was amused to discover an anecdote about his childhood. Apparently he so loved verse that he conducted most of his everyday conversations in rhyme. Understandably, this irritated his father, who having threatened young Isaac with a whipping if he continued to do this, was about to carry out this threat. Poor Isaac, in tears, went down on his knees and begged:

"Pray, father, do some pity take
And I will no more verses make."

I would never condone child abuse, but if Isaac's father did beat him on that occasion, I have a certain amount of sympathy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home