Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

View from my window, New Year's Day 2007
The first day of 2007 has dawned bright and sunny, as the view from my window shows. Cold too, though with my ankle still dodgy I won't be making unnecessary trips outside.

So what's in store for 2007? With the long-feared global warming looking increasingly a reality, with the dreadful situations in Iraq and Afghanistan, with the National Health Service and other public services in the UK in disarray as the consequences of disastrous funding policies become apparent, it's hard to be optimistic. But at least we will have a new leader. I remember the hope with which we greeted the election of Blair ten years ago - his promises of an ethical foreign policy and an end to sleaze, both now laughable. Despite the lesson of that false hope - on New Year's Day one should be positive - I can wish for a return to the values of honesty and transparency, tolerance and respect, that have been notable for their absence in the British government of the last ten years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home