Saturday, August 05, 2006

Now playing - Dylan Thomas settings

And death shall have no dominion.
Dead mean naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.

I'm listening to a choral setting by Kenneth Jennings of "And death shall have no dominion". It brings a memory of myself at seventeen, reciting this poem in the school verse-speaking competition, I'm sure very badly. The Jennings setting is quite different from my conception of the poem: fast where I read it slowly, quiet where I would be impassioned. A very different reading, but a powerful one (brilliantly performed, it seems to a non-singer like me, by the group Cantus).

Coming up now is Samuel Barber's setting of Hopkins "Heaven-Haven". I stop to listen to it.

Heaven—Haven (A nun takes the veil)

I have desired to go
Where springs not fail,
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
And a few lilies blow.

And I have asked to be
Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
And out of the swing of the sea.

2 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

After the first death, there is no other...

6:50 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Now there's a poem I don't think I've thought of since I was at school. And yet that one line brings back so many ohers. "Never until the mankind making / Bird beast and flower / Fathering and all humbling darkness / Tells with silence the last light breaking..." I know so much of it by heart, from thirty-odd years ago.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home