Sunday, August 13, 2006

Favourite writers

Thinking about how my reading tastes have evolved.

First: Enid Blyton and Captain W.E. Johns
Then Agatha Christie
As a teenager, Wodehouse, Saki and Stephen Leacock (all still comfort reading)
Waugh and Huxley, C.P. Snow
Camus and Kafka
John Fowles
Shusaku Endo
(Five years ago) Paul Auster
Now the authors whose new books I rush out to buy (metaphorically: I don't buy books any more) are Haruki Murakami and Russell Hoban.

Curiously, I remember what I read as a teenager and in my early twenties, but since then, my recollection is vague and there are huge gaps.

Does this show some intellectual development (or decline) or are my tastes random? Or am I just a dedicated follower of literary fashion?

2 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

You still have a great deal to read, Mr.!

3:28 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Would one want it any other way?

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home