Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A chain of connections in my mind

Hilda's comment on my earlier post (The Translation Problem Solved) leads me to remember one of e.e. cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

brings to mind the words (from the Song of Songs)

Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death;

so I remember the Prom last year at which I heard for the first time Messiaen's ecstatic Trois Petites Liturgies de la Présence Divine

and now as I write this I'm playing a record of Walton's rapt setting of these words, and listening to one Oxford College choir and remembering others completes the loop by connecting with Hilda's blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

Thanks!

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home