Saturday, July 08, 2006

A literary influence - "designed by Germano Facetti"

A few weeks ago I read of the death of Germano Facetti. It was a name that had once been very familiar to me. He designed Penguin Books when I was young: I remember when I first started reading seriously I was instantly attracted to Penguin Modern Classics. When I browsed in bookshops it was these that I immediately sought out: Facetti's use of paintings on the cover not only coloured by reading of the books but also surreptitiously introduced me to art. I don't know if he designed all the covers above - when I read the obituary I thought I remembered the name from so many book covers but not all of these credit the designer. Nevertheless it was the visual identity that Facetti created for these books which guided my book buying and my reading in my most impressionable years.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look!!!

http://loscontreras.blogspot.com/

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home