Sunday, April 23, 2006

Rain and Kippenberger

Grey LondonA wet and grey day in London. See Martin Kippenberger show at Tate Modern. An artist I feel very much in sympathy with. Very much an artist who fitted or set the mood of his time - the eighties and nineties. I remember the obituary in the Independent when he died a few years ago - profound, tragic and hilarious, at least in my memory. In this show I particularly like the work in the last room, Heavy Burschi. An assistant made copies from pictures in catalogues of Kippenberger's previous exhibitions, and then K had the copies destroyed, but not before photographing them. The room shows the framed photographs together with a skip holding the remains of the destroyed pictures.

"I'm in favour of good-mood worlds. Because I'm on the good-mood side, although that's not to say that tragic things aren't constantly happening to me." - Kippenberger

Tobias Rehberger on Kippenberger's teaching methods: "He would talk. And talk. It was great and entertaining, but it was also horrible, repetitive and boring." Perhaps there is hope for my teaching yet.

Raindrops on Millennium Bridge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home