Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Scots one

The Tryst

O luely, luely, cam she in
And luely she lay down:
I kent her be her caller lips
And her breists sae sma' and roun'.

A' thru the nicht we spak nae word
Nor sinder'd bane frae bane:
A' thru the nicht I heard her hert
Gang soundin' wi' my ain.

It was about the waukrife hour
When cocks begin to craw
That she smool'd saftly thru the mirk
Afore the day wud daw.

Sae luely, luely, cam she in
Sae luely was she gaen;
And wi' her a' my simmer days
Like they had never been.

William Soutar (1898-1943)

A quick translation:

So softly, softly came she in
And softly lay she down.
I knew her by her cool fresh lips
And her breasts so small and round.

All through the night we spoke no word
Nor parted bone from bone:
All through the night I heard her heart
Go sounding with my own.

It was about the waking hour
When cocks begin to crow
That she slipped softly through the gloom
Before the day would dawn.

So softly, softly, came she in
So softly was she gone;
And with her all my summer days
Like they had never been.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im in love with that poem since I was seven and I listened to an old cassette which had a wonderful song,an adaptation for that poem. Ive been looking for that song ever since, do you, by any chance, know any song adaptation of this poem?

Thank you very much


I.C.A.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

There is apparently a setting by Francis George Scott (1880-1958) (see http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=46846)
but I don't know of any recording

Tony

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home