Thursday, July 05, 2007

J.B. Handelsman

I read that the cartoonist Handelsman has died. When I was a teenager his weekly "Freaky Fables" in Punch were the highlight of my week. They were idiosyncratic retellings of classical myths and similar stories: a rather off-beat and ironic humour which, I now realise, must have been a strong influence on my personality. I don't known his more recent work, but the obituary quoted this cartoon:

Handelsman Cartoon And it also quoted another of his captions, which captures much of what appeals to me about his work: "We are among those chosen to bear the burden of rebuilding Iraq. A thankless job, with no reward apart from obscene profits."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had missed this obit - and am grateful to you for reporting it for me. I, likewise, was a big Handelsman fan years ago... He probably had a formative effect on my sense of humour too. I loved the way he managed to be satirical and daft at one and the same time. "Power doesn't really corrupt, madam," I remember one of his businessmen commenting, "it merely provides more scope for one's depravity." As true today as it ever was! I also cherish the 'Freaky Fable' of the dog in the manger - after its triumph over the horse, Handelsman reveals the speech bubbles of its fleas: "Too long have we been in servitude to this dog, brother fleas!" "Oh, lordy, lordy, there's a great day a-comin', (clap, clap)" Moral? 'Don't make yourself too comfortable - you'll be leaving soon' He's left us all too soon.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Tony said...

Yes. I loved these morals to the freaky fables - as you say, daftness but bite at the same time!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home