Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Six months on

I started this blog six months ago (14th April). So perhaps a good time to reflect.

I began with a rather negative quotation: "Sen vord is thrall and thocht is fre / Keip veill thy tonge I coinsell the." And although I'm sure this blog is revealing in all sorts of ways that I'm not aware of, I know that my reluctance to reveal any personal secrets shows that I'm not a real blogista.

Who am I writing for? I know who a few of my readers are (even if they don't make comments). I do find that I am very reluctant to tell people about the blog - again my natural reticence - so I guess I'm not really writing for an audience. With significant exceptions, I don't generally have a particular reader in mind. Am I writing for myself? In a sense, definitely, but in ways I haven't fully thought through.

Resolutions - make sure I keep the blog up, try to be more personal, and perhaps a little less lazy in some of my less inspired posts.

13 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

Well, congratulations for your fist six months! (so soon...)

Even if only writing for oneself, I think blogs are a way learn more the "author": the voice, the mind, the gut, the nerve behind it.

I don't think you should make any resolutions: every single one of your posts speaks so much about you, even if you do not intend that purposely.

I find no personae here: every time I come and read I find you.

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trying to escape the Censor...

Vanilla, that was ***data error*** days before the Author's birthday!!!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Hilda (first comment) - that's exactly what I'm afraid of! Here I am trying to create an interesting, if entirely false, persona for the world to know me by, and you tell me that everything I post is revealing myself!

And the less said about your second comment, the better.

9:50 AM  
Blogger HL said...

WHAT!!!!
SHAME ON YOU!!

12:47 AM  
Blogger HL said...

I WILL NEVER COMMENT ON THIS BLOG AGAIN!!

12:47 AM  
Blogger HL said...

Well, maybe just to say HOW LOVELY YOU POSTED ALL THAT MUSIC!!

But only that...
GOODBYE!!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Hilda,

You persuaded me (even although comments on blogs should not reveal secrets). I went back to your comment to post it and blogger wouldn't let me! So I'm sorry but it seems I am powerless.

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilda's information may be unreliable

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She may be misinformed, or have made a mistake

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, she didn't. That information is pretty accurate.
She is a very clever girl, actually.

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is very clever, creative, and imaginative. One should trust everything she says.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

My remarks are entirely unrelated to the others above--I am commenting in general about your site. I stumbled across you several weeks ago when I googled Fumeux Fume, a "family favorite" that I brought home from an early music class. I just returned to your site today and had to dig for the same information--and found all sorts of interesting things to listen to or look at. I'm actually more of a news junkie (I'm a Democratic political activist in Central Ohio--you're welcome!), but once in awhile I go on a googling jag.

I'll revisit occasionally to see what gems you have up here.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home