Sunday, May 14, 2006

Opening the anthology at random

I wanted to read one poem before going to sleep...

CHOROS FROM MORPHEUS

Give me your poppies,
poppies. one by one,
red poppies,
white ones,
red ones set by white;
I'm through with protestation;
my delight
knows nothing of the mind
or argument;
let me be done
with brain's intricacies;
your insight
has drive deeper
than the lordliest tome
of Attic thought
or Cyrenian logic;
O strange, dark Morpheus,
covering me with wings,
you give the subtle fruit
Odysseus scorned
that left his townsmen fainting on the sands,
you bring the siren note,
the lotus-land;
O let me rest
at last,
at last,
at last;
your touch is sweeter
than the touch of Death;
O I am tired of measures
like deft oars;
the beat and ringing
of majestic song;
give me your poppies;
I would lie along
hot rocks, listening;
still my ambition
that would rear and chafe
like chariot horses
waiting for the race;
let me forget
the spears of Marathon.
H.D.
["H.D." was Hilda Doolittle (1886-1961)]

2 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

H.D.!

If only for those letters...

4:42 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

H.D. had a complicated and interesting life - see

http://www.imagists.org/hd/bio.html

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home